Monday, January 17, 2011

Crispy Grissini (Italian Breadsticks)


My boyfriend eats grissini for breakfast everyday. He takes two grissini and crumbles them up in his coffee and milk, sweetened with honey. That's just the way he likes it, what can I say.




I really wanted to try to bake some myself. Here's a recipe I compiled after trying out several batches:

Ingredients:

All purpose flour - 2 cups (I don't use bread flour because tried that once and they came out too heavy and chewy as opposed to crispy and light)
Salt - 1 tsp. (I use course salt instead of fine)
Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
Active Dry Yeast - 2 1/4 tsp
Honey - 1 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Warm water - 1/4 cup
Semolina flour for dusting
Milk for brushing

Method:
  1. Mix yeast, honey and warm water until dissolved. Let sit in warm place for a few minutes.
  2. Mix flour and salt, and olive oil. You can also add two teaspoons of your favorite dried herbs here..
  3. Make a well in the middle and add milk and yeast mixture.
  4. Knead the dough for a few minutes using a stand mixer or your hands. Add more flour if necessary to make a smooth dough.
  5. Shape dough into a ball and place in a slightly greased (w. olive oil) bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for about and hour until the dough doubles in size.
  6. Remove from bowl onto a flat surface dusted with semolina flour.
  7. Stretch out the dough with your hands into an elongated rectangle. Make sure both sides are dusted with semolina.
  8. Then, on one end begin slicing begin slicing 1x4 inch pieces. Take each piece and roll or stretch and lightly twist into a long breadstick.
  9. Place them on a baking sheet lined with paper.
  10. Preheat the oven at 210-220 degrees C.
  11. Brush the breadsticks with milk.
  12. Bake for about 15 minutes or until it starts turning golden brown.
  13. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy. Store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. These look yummy. I'll try making them tonight, though I don't think I'll crumble them in my coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I appreciate your taking time to comment, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts